Following consultations with the African Union Commission (AUC), and Citizens and Diaspora Directorate (CIDO) about what the AUC intended to do on May 25th, 2022 to commemorate the Adoption of the African Union African Diaspora Declaration. Several organizations did their own research for any review of the past ten years, or reports on materializing the Declaration, and they did not find any significant results.
As such, the African Diaspora Civil Society organizations, Pan Africanists, and African Activist organizations have taken the initiative to organize a special Roundtable on The AU Diaspora Declaration: Ten Years After. The event is being held with the support of the African Union Economic, Social and Cultural Council (ECOSOCC), CIDO, and the Caribbean Community (CARICOM).
We will meet and assess what has been implemented so far and the impact, and the next steps forward in uniting the progressive actions of the Diaspora with those of the African Union.
- To discuss the state of affairs with regard to: the implementation of existing commitments to the African Diaspora; Agenda 2063 & taken into consideration developments regarding ACFTA.
- To reach an agreement on an African Diaspora Resolution for the way forward.
- To reach an agreement and commitment on an Addis Ababa Diaspora Declaration Plan of Action for the way forward with representatives of the member states and the AU.
The Resolution from this Roundtable was submitted to the African Union Commission in cooperation with the CIDO, AU ECOSOCC and ACPHR.
1) A review of the DGADS 2012 after its ten year milestone. An analysis and discussion of the progress of the implementation plan was completed.
2) The development and additions of new recommendations relevant to NOW;