Following consultations with the African Union Commission (AUC), and Citizens and Diaspora Directorate (CIDO) about what the AUC intended to do on May 25th, 2022 to commemorate the Adoption of the African Union African Diaspora Declaration. Several organizations did their own research for any review of the past ten years, or reports on materializing the Declaration, and they did not find any significant results.
As such, the African Diaspora Civil Society organizations, Pan Africanists, and African Activist organizations have taken the initiative to organize a special Roundtable on The AU Diaspora Declaration: Ten Years After. The event is being held with the support of the African Union Economic, Social and Cultural Council (ECOSOCC), CIDO, and the Caribbean Community (CARICOM).
We will meet and assess what has been implemented so far and the impact, and the next steps forward in uniting the progressive actions of the Diaspora with those of the African Union.
- To discuss the state of affairs with regard to: the implementation of existing commitments to the African Diaspora; Agenda 2063 & taken into consideration developments regarding ACFTA.
- To reach an agreement on an African Diaspora Resolution for the way forward.
- To reach an agreement and commitment on an Addis Ababa Diaspora Declaration Plan of Action for the way forward with representatives of the member states and the AU.
AT THE SUMMIT
Over three days of the independent and self-supported Roundtable, the delegates achieved:-
1) A review of the ten year old Declaration Of The Global African Diaspora Summit and analyze and discuss the progress of the implementation plan;
2) Development and additions of new recommendations relevant to NOW;
3) Agreement to present recommendations for review to the AU Commission, CIDO and ECOSOCC while we continue to work in partnership with these important Organs towards achieving the expected implementation goals.
The delegates are therefore pleased to present the Global Pan-African Roots Synergy Roundtable Declaration and Resolution that has been submitted to all relevant African Union Organs and Member States for consideration and implementation to the extent the contents fall under their jurisdiction.
Much gratitude is extended to everyone who contributed in any way to the success of the Roundtable. The Roundtable was supported by interested Pan Africanists, Activists, Scientists and Scholars and brought together delegates from interested CSOs from the Global African World a selection of whom participated as Speakers and Panelists as well as other Authorities from:- Africa, Australia/Asia/Oceanic, USA and Canada, The Caribbean, Europe, South (including Brazil), Central America and the Middle East.
The Roundtable Hosts and Coordinators would like to acknowledge:-
- the support of CIDO and ECOSOCC by sending representation during the Roundtable;
- the contribution of Caricom and CPan Official, H.E. Ambassador Dr. David Comissiong;
- the role of the government of the Federal Republic Ethiopia and an enabling environment;
- the participation of the Ethiopia Community and especially the Rastafari Community;
- the AUC for facilitation of the African Union Building Tour including the historical information for the Roundtable Diasporan Delegation.
The Resolution from this Roundtable was submitted to the African Union Commission in cooperation with the CIDO, AU ECOSOCC and ACPHR.